Problems with endometriosis diagnostics
"Menstruation must be painful" is what young women often hear from both their parents and doctors. Apart from being prescribed painkillers and hormones the patient stays alone with her suffering, not knowing what causes her ailments and what their consequences may lead to. Such approach is the reason for dramatic statistics: the proper diagnosis of endometriosis occurs on average 10 years after the appearance of its’ first symptoms! In fact, it carries a drama for many women. After many years of silent development, the disease transformed into advanced stages. Often during the first laparoscopy we encounter endometrial cysts (leading to the reduction of ovarian reserve), adhesions, obstructed fallopian tubes, infiltrates on bladder or intestine.
So far the only accurate diagnostic method of this disease was classic laparoscopy, requiring anesthesia and usually a few days of hospital stay. It also left scars. In such perspective it is not surprising that both doctors and women affected by endometriosis were postponing the decision to undergo such surgery.
TVL - Revolution in diagnostics of endometriosis
TVL (eng. transvaginal laparoscopy) is a technique that revolutionized diagnosing of endometriosis. It is a short, 30-minute long surgery, which requires short general or local anaesthesia (local anesthesia of the cervix combined with the use of nitrous oxide, i.e. laughing gas). Afterwards, patients does not need to be hospitalized. The procedure is performed by transvaginal access without leaving any scars in the abdominal area. Transvaginal laparoscopy is performed in an aqueous (not gas) environment.. Thanks to this there are no shoulder pains and uncomfortable abdominal distension.
In the case of patients planning pregnancy, a full diagnosis is possible, including hysteroscopy (uteroscopy) and tubal patency. In the case of endometriosis, it is possible to simultaneously remove the lesions with the use of a laser. All procedures can be performed on an outpatient basis.
Full diagnostic laparoscopy
Reruires general anaesthesia
Three small scares
Classic laparoscopy requires introduction of 3 instruments through the abdominal wall, leaving three scars: one in the navel and two on the sides of the abdomen.
Several days of hospital say
Most of hospitals recommend a few days of hospitalisation.
Flattening of changes caused by the use of gas together with light reflections result in poorer visibility during the surgery.
Diagnostic transvaginal laparoscopy (TVL)
During transvaginal laparoscopy the camera is inserted into abdomen through the posterior wall of vagina. The surgery leaves no scars.
Only several hours of hospital stay
The surgery itself takes 30 minutes. Several hours after the surgery the patient is able go back home.
The procedures are performed in aqueous environment with much lower pressure than in the case of classic laparoscopy. Endometrial changes are not flattered what makes them better visible.
The diagnostics process at Miracolo
- Phone consultation. By clicking on the link below you can sign up for a phone consultation. You will receive a detailed questionnaire regarding your ailments and health condition.
- Surgery qualification. Qualification for the procedure is based on a thorough interview, documentation of ultrasound examination and any descriptions of the operations carried out in the past. However, at times additional consultation or additional tests are necessary (eg. magnetic resonance imaging), of which you will be informed during the consultation.
- Date of the procedure. We will arrange a convenient surgery date in Warsaw or Dortmund.
- Laboratory results. You will be asked to perform several laboratory tests before the surgery.
- The surgery. On the day of the procedure our doctor performs a gynecological examination with ultrasound, followed by a surgical procedures. A few hours after the procedure the patient can go back home.
- Further treatment. Care after the surgery can be taken over by your own doctor. If endometriosis is confirmed during the surgery, we will help you to specify further treatment. You can also go through our nutritional therapy.